What is this course about?
Python scripts can reduce the time spent on complex or repetitive tasks, enabling GIS staff to be more productive. This course will teach you how to create Python scripts to automate tasks related to data management, feature editing, geoprocessing and analysis, and map production using ArcGIS. You will also learn how to share your Python scripts, so your key GIS workflows are accessible to others.
This course is for: GIS analysts, specialists, data processors, and others who want to automate ArcGIS tasks and workflows.
Safety measures for training courses
While courses in our training facility have resumed, we want to assure you that the wellbeing of our trainees and staff remains Esri Singapore’s highest priority.
As the COVID-19 situation continues to develop, strict safety measures and guidelines as recommended by the Ministry of Health are being adhered to for all training conducted.
All computer equipment and desks are disinfected before class commences and during the lunch break, while seats are placed and marked at least 1-metre apart, in accordance with official Safe Distance Measures.
Masks are mandatory throughout training, and alcohol hand sanitisers and anti-bacterial wet wipes will be available.
Your temperature will be taken before commencement. For your safety, you will be asked to return home and see a doc if your temperature exceeds 37.5deg.
An isolation room has been prepared for trainees to rest in if they are feeling unwell and awaiting transportation.
Are there any prerequisites?
- Completion of ArcGIS 2: Essential Workflows and ArcGIS 3: Performing Analysis or equivalent knowledge is required
- Knowledge of Python syntax and experience creating Python scripts is required. For those new to Python, Python for Everyone Using ArcGIS is strongly recommended
- Basic programming skills, including using loops and conditional statements, are required
What skills will I learn?
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Choose a Python scripting environment that meets your needs
- Incorporate cursors, describe objects, and list objects into scripts to manage and update data
- Use ArcPy classes and geometry objects to create and update features and perform geoprocessing operations
- Use the ArcPy mapping module to automate map document and layer management
- Apply techniques to ensure valid script syntax and error handling
- Create custom script tools and geoprocessing packages to share your scripts